7 Underrated Tips That Can Maximize Efficiency for Windows UsersJohn Biglin, CEO | July 18, 2014
Do you know all of these shortcuts in Excel?
Microsoft Excel is great for building both simple and complex spreadsheets. Even though most of us have used the various versions of Excel for years, I still find that there are always things you can learn about it. Also, I often see people struggle with simple functions simply because no one ever showed them some shortcuts.
Note: As the version of Excel changes, some of the short-cuts may not work, but I believe most of them will.
1. Insert Sum: Alt Equals Totalling/Summing has to be Excel’s most commonly used task, and this trick can save you several clicks every time. To sum a column of numbers, select the cell at the bottom of the column. Then, Alt =will insert the sum function.
2. Select an Entire Column: Ctrl-Spacebar You probably know that Alt-a will select everything on a page, but if you simply want
3. Go to Top: Ctrl-Home Tired of scrolling to the top, Ctrl-Home takes you to A1. Ctrl-End takes you to the last cell.
4. Hide Data: Ctrl-Zero To simply hide some data without deleting it: select the column you want to hide, then hit Ctrl-Zero. To unhide it, use Ctrl-Shift-Zero.
5. Delete a Cell: Alt-E, D When you want to fully delete a cell, you can certainly right-click and then hit delete, but I find it faster to keep my hands on the keyboard rather than going for the mouse. Alt-E, D. You will see the menus change to see that you are selecting “Edit”-“Delete”.
6. Add Date: Ctrl-Semicolon Ctrl-Semicolon inserts today’s date. Ctrl-Shift-Semicolon inserts the current time.
7. Show Formulas: Ctrl ~ Functions are the math formulas that give Excel its power. The tilde (~) key is typically found in the top left corner of the keyboard. Theyare math equations that Excel computes and displays. Normally, you enter a function either in the formula bar or directly in the cell, which then displays the result in the cell, not the formula. The formula becomes hidden from view. When you need to check the formulas, you can highlight every cell and look in the formula bar, or you can just hit CTRL-~, and all formulas are revealed to you at each corresponding cell.
8. Freeze Panes: Alt-W, F First, select the top-leftmost cell of your table or data, then press Alt-W, then F. Your table labels will freeze, and you can scroll beyond the edges of the page while still reading column/row labels.
9. Format Cells: Ctrl-1 Pressing Ctrl-1 will bring up the formatting menu for the active selection of cells. Cell formatting is used to control how cells are displayed, a common use is setting ‘Accounting’ so that there are always 2 decimal places on numbers ($0.00)
Microsoft Teams is a collaborative workspace in Office 365 that brings together people, content and conversations. Previously, to chat privately with a group of team members, separate Teams had to be created outside of the originating team within which a group would...
Did you know that technology is helping to protect and save our oceans? With #cloud security and communication tools, @JacksDiveLocker has exponentially increased their outreach and education efforts to keep our oceans healthy and thriving.
Want to see how the latest #security tools can help grow your business? Contact the Client Engagement team at Interphase Systems (email@example.com or 610-276-5500) to get started today!
Searching in Bing now produces web and organization specific search results, making it an easy destination for broad searches that include data found within Microsoft 365. The best part is that it can be used from any device, in any web browser. You can use the Bing...
We live in a world of constant disruption where business models are undergoing constant change. This article explores the impact of these trends on collaboration and teamwork and the most important skills for the 2020 workplace. Contact Interphase Systems for help in...
Meet Diego, a Compliance Officer who works closely with his company's IT team to ensure employees abide by internal policies and regulations set by regulatory bodies. Check out this infographic to see how Diego uses productivity and collaboration tools in Teams across...
Teamwork is more important than ever for today's businesses--and Microsoft Teams makes it easier than ever for your business to begin realizing the promise of a digital workspace. Subscribe now to stay informed on how Teams, as the hub in Office 365, can elevate and...